Sunday, August 7, 2011

Cancer

Well I've been away for some time.  What I thought was a muscle strain/appendix problems turned out to be stage 3 colon cancer.  Sixty years without much of a sickness record and never having been a hospital inpatient.  Heck, I'm a vegan, no vises, no smoking, hardly drink, gets loads of exercise - I'm a gardener groundsman.


I've got to be thankful to all the staff at my local general hospital at Castlebar, Mayo, for their care, support and professionalism and the follow up nursing care I've experienced since coming out of hospital.  Which I left minus a cecum, a section of my small intestine and the right ascending part of my large intestine, various associated lymph nodes and the primary tumour.


Its now a case of building myself up, waiting for the wound to heal, and then undertaking the carpet bombing/war of attrition of chemotherapy.


I'll keep you posted on my journey and my thoughts associated with the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment